The Ministry of Environment and Forest has established a network of 78 Subject Specific and State Related Centres called as Environmental Information Centres (ENVIS). The Environmental Information System was established by the Government of India as a plan Programme in December 1982.The Ministry coordinates activities of all the ENVIS-Network Partners to make ENVIS a web-enabled Comprehensive Information System. The focus of ENVIS is to provide Environmental Information to decision makers, policy planners, scientists and engineers, research workers, etc. all over the country. Under the focus of the Environmental Information System, the National Efforts are integrated to ensure the collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of Environmental Information to all concerned.
The major Objectives, both Long Term and Short Term, of the Environmental information System are mentioned below.
1. LONG-TERM OBJECTIVES
· to build up a repository and dissemination centre in Environmental Science and Engineering;
· to gear up the modern technologies of acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information of environmental nature; and
· to support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
· to provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information;
· to build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users;
· to promote, national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of environment related information;
· to promote, support and assist education and personnel training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilization capabilities;
· to promote exchange of information amongst developing countries.
Key Words: ENVIS, Government of India, information, international cooperation